- 3/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 cups grated carrot (7-10)
- 1 cup toasted pecans
- 1/2 tbsp ground ginger (or 2tbl fresh grated)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 8oz cream cheese Softened
- 2 + 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 + 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp dried ginger (or 4 tsp finely grated fresh ginger)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two 8 inch round cake pans with non stick baking spray. Set aside.
- Toast pecans by spreading them on a baking sheet and placing them in the over for 6-10 minutes or until golden.
- Beat eggs, oil, applesauce, sugars and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to mix.
- Stir in grated carrots making sure not to add too much additional moisture.
- Divide batter into two 9-inch pans (or three 8-inch), Bake for 45-50 mins checking to see if a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool for 30 minutes, remove from pan and then frost adding pecans decoratively to the side of cake.
- If making cupcakes, this recipe yields two dozen. Bake for 22 minutes.
- For Frosting -- Beat cream cheese, sugar, salt and vanilla until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whip heavy cream until it creates stiff peaks.
- Fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture. Chill before icing cake.
Please note that the carrot cupcakes pictured above are darker in color because they were made with a berry blend applesauce, which has a burgundy hue.